Thursday, February 5, 2009

I am getting better!

As I had stated before, Karl and I began a quest to bake our own bread. Our attempts have been very good, but I am striving for Great Harvest quality! I came across a recipe for a combination wheat and white flour cinnamon swirl bread. This one is much better than the other cinnamon swirl bread and more filling with the wheat.

Next time when I make this bread, I will increase the wheat and reduce the white flour to become more wholesome. But this will have to wait as I promised Isabella some special gluten free bread for her. She can have some wheat, but she has to be careful as too much hurts her system. We discovered her sensitivity a couple of years ago when she went to see the allergist in CT. I just try to watch how much wheat she takes in and swap out the wheat products for rice or potatoes to keep her intake lower. We are thankful that she really likes rice but lately it has been really difficult for her as I am working on making wonderful breads. So I searched for a gluten free recipe with some body to it. Recipezaar had one with great reviews I intend to try soon. It uses flax meal to give it a more whole grain taste. In case you were curious, gluten-free bread costs upwards of $8-10 per loaf in the store and does not seem to excite Isabella all that much. And being the Mommy I am, I am on a quest to help my little girl!