Thursday, July 2, 2009

Capturing the Season!

I love trying to capture shots of nature and it's growth. It enables me to reflect on the beauty and goodness during those drab months of winter when the weather is not cold enough for snow and the ground is in it's brown resting stage. I have been trying for a few weeks now to record the butterflies on the Echinacea but as soon as I come back out with my camera, they disappear. Today, I was more successful.

Here is one with both of the butterflies. Sorry, we do not have a butterfly identification book so I could define them for you. Does anyone have a good book title they can send me? Since we have been doing so much nature study in our new surroundings, I have been slowly collecting these identification books.
Here are some of my beloved daisies I split from the Connecticut house last fall.

I am still working on pictures of the bees on the lavender. When I grew lavender in Connecticut, I remarked how it appeared the bees would become intoxicated from the lavender. Apparently my observation was correct because the other day while reading about harvesting and propagating lavender the author remarked about "drunken bees". The bees are also more docile when around the lavender. It seems to put everyone in a calm mood. Another tip I picked up while reading, throw a few lavender stems on your campfire and the lavender smoke repels the mosquitoes. Karl is going to make fire starters with his Webelo Scouts and intends to take my left over stems to put in the mixture.