Thursday, December 2, 2010

Granola

Here is my recipe for granola. I originally got it from my friend, Aileen. However, I made some adjustments for my own taste after seeing what my favorite store bought brand, Bear Naked, put into their bags.


I like mine loaded with nuts with a bit of sweetness of dried fruit. So here it goes!

  • 4 Cups of Rolled Oats (Old Fashioned not the quick cook! If you need get Gluten Free.)
  • 1 1/2 - 2 Cups of Nuts (A combination of or just one: Almonds, Walnuts, or Pecans)
  • 1/2 cup of Flax Seeds or Meal
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups of dried fruit (Raisins or Craisins)
  • 1/2 tsp of Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (mine is a bit on the heavy side)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup of neutral or nut oil (I am in love with this roasted walnut oil I found! The more oil the more it will clump up into chunks.)
  • 1/2 cup of honey (local is best for pollen allergies)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and lightly oil a 9 x13 glass pan.
  2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl or stand mixer.
  3. Mix wet ingredients together. A little clue, if you put the oil in the liquid measure cup first, then the honey, it makes getting the honey out easier.
  4. Pour the mixture into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, lightly stir to evenly roast nuts.
  5. Let the mixture cool for about 20 minutes, then carefully scoop granola into a container breaking up large clumps.

This is great to add to yogurt or just pour milk over. You might want to put in extra walnuts as they are heavenly toasted with a little honey. I find myself searching them out of the container.