Monday, March 2, 2009

The German Family...

Anton recently finished reading The Swiss Family Robinson. He loved it. The adventure has lead to more creative play outside. On this particular day, Anton had wanted to stay inside to... well, read another book. I needed him to help me measure something outside while Isabella wrote the numbers down for me. I told him it would take about 10 minutes. When we finished the children heard sounds of dogs in the distance and wanted to investigate near the "fort". The fort consists of the fallen oak tree and the remains of the straw fabric the builder had laid to try to grow some grass. When they reached the top, they asked if I thought it was high enough to be safe from wild dogs. Very truthfully, I responded negatively as the two were only about 3 feet from the ground.

The rest is history as they say. The two ended up playing "Swiss Family" for the next three hours.


Isabella was busy making a wall with found wood and Anton was creating a ditch for irrigation. At least that is what they told me they were doing.

Oh, the freedom of a child's mind in a nonrestrictive space! When we first moved I was so worried about not having some kind of play structure for forts, climbing, etc. They made the fort, and the holly tree in the brush had them scaling well over my head. Maybe the man made structure is not as important as I thought!