Saturday, June 6, 2009

Isabella's First Communion - Part 1

The second weekend in May, Isabella had her big day in the church, her First Holy Communion. I had always felt I should make Isabella's dress for her due to my sewing background. However, once the diagnoses of Mono, friends were calling to offer their daughter's dresses so as not to over stress my already weak system. My mother also sent mine and my sisters' dresses. Isabella tried on the dresses, and it literally made me feel like dirt since the things she liked about the ones that actually fit were part of the dress I was making. I tried to be joyful for Isabella, but my heart was breaking as I wanted her to have her own dress if she could not fit into a family dress. So I tried my best to complete the dress. I was in tears the night before because I just could not get it done. My brain and hands were not working right. My mother then jumped in and finished the hem and rolled Isabella's hair so it would be in ringlet curls. I was exhausted but promised everyone once the dress was completed, I would stop and rest to heal.

Her day was filled with pictures and well wishes.

My sister, Amy, who is Isabella's Godmother, came in along with my parents. They had spend the days before touring the Capitol and the Shrine.

Finally we got to the church without ruining the dress!

Soon it was time to meet up with her friends and line up for the procession.

The girls all looked beautiful!
It was hard to keep them from twirling their dresses
and prancing like princesses.