Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Crazy Summer is Ending

First, I promise to get pictures up loaded as soon as I get them off my camera!  It has been a very active and full summer this year.  I mean, I could just say I have had nothing to write about, but then I would get some finger wagging!

Yes, we are alive and well after an earthquake and a hurricane all within two weeks.  During this run in with Mother Nature, we lost two fruit trees and we are on the fence about some pine trees.  Karl's fort held strong, even the screening stayed put!  We did lose power from Saturday night through Monday night, but we got the generator out of the box and started it up.  We tried to tough it out for the first 24 hours, having already filled the tubs with water for toilets, stored water in fridge and basement, and turned all freezer/fridges to highest setting, we were doing OK.  But at the 24 hour mark, and after seeing the power lines to our house in both directions on the ground, we figured the end would be later than sooner.  So, open the box we did.  Soon we had the fridge/freezers plugged in and Karl was able to make a cable to send power to our upstairs lights and fans.  This is great but no water still as our well pump runs on electricity and no small load either.  Karl was all prepared to construct another power cord from the generator to juice up the pump when the power came back on.

I will write more soon as our schedule smooths out with schooling and activities get us more on routine!  I have so much to write about!!!!