Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Canning, painting, pens and land

We had another full weekend, even with the extra day! I managed to finish up Anton's room from last week's map hanging experience. Karl and I finally put our fears aside and hung his huge map of the world in his room spanning just over one full wall last weekend. I only needed to roll on Anton's choice of blue paint and hang his solar system picture. After some airing out and straightening, Anton is very happy with his new space. Except it is now called the "secret laboratory". It does not sound too secret anymore though! He brought up some rocks, leaves, and sticks to inspect with a magnifying glass and asked when he might be able have a telescope and a desk in his room. I promise I am not making this up!! Karl and I did clarify with him what was he going to do in his "secret laboratory" and stated no chemicals or liquid mixtures will be concocted in his room. All messy experiments will be delegated to the basement, outside or kitchen. He agreed and said the desk could wait till maybe next weekend. Oh Boy!

While the paint was drying, I cut the grass, er weeds, in the front and south side of the house. We had finally received rain after having nothing for 3 1/2 weeks, which seemed to bring the grass back from its dormancy.

During my projects, Karl took the children with him so the boys could get their hairs cut and other odd small errands. Then he made the gates for the puppies which arrive later this week.

On Sunday, we walked over to Chester's garden, Isabella drove the gator which came in handy. Chester is a lovely 79 year old farmer for life who puts my previous garden to shame with his 60 foot long rows of peppers, tomatoes, beans, squash, cucumbers, etc. He says he is getting ready to plant the kale and lettuces for fall in the next week or so. Anyway, Chester has an over load of produce and I have already been the recipient of many tomatoes and beans. However, once he found out what I make with the tomatoes, I have been told on multiple occasions to come get more so they do not go to waste. According to Tim and Stephen, his step sons, Chester lives for sharing his harvest. Coincidentally, we are buying our beef from Chester's grand children who raise steers for 4-H projects. I am loving this small town life! We loaded our blessings into the gator bed and Isabella drove it home. The cattle thought we were an interesting sight watching us walk around their pasture on our way to and fro.

On Monday, Karl finished small odd projects while I canned 5 quarts of tomato sauce, 9 pints of salsa, and blanched 7 quarts of beans for the freezer. Eventually I will get a pressure canner and can the beans but for now, they are shoved into the freezer. I feel bad for accepting all the produce, with the addition of 5 cucumbers, a couple summer squash, and about 8 zucchinis, for the price of a jar of tomato sauce. I think I will bring him some more this week. And I thought the canner would only produce dust this year!