Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rising Dough

In an effort to reduce our food budget, Karl and I are trying our hands at making bread. Actually, Karl started the trend during one of his off days from work. We had talked about the idea but never put words into actions. I found some easy recipes from Mother Earth's website for a no knead dough. Karl made four small sour dough loaves all by himself. The bread is similar to what you would find in an Italian restaurant to munch on till your salads arrive. I made an olive oil dip for us and Anton nearly finished off half a loaf.



Not wanting to be outdone by my husband, I wanted to try to make my own bread. While the sourdough bread is good, I wanted to find a different textured bread. I also find the act of kneading the dough to be relaxing and calming, so I didn't try to avoid these types of recipes. I came across an egg bread with options of making cinnamon bread. I made one loaf exactly like the recipe and another I added applesauce to the cinnamon swirl mix.

They both turned out great! I was surprised Anton liked the applesauce one better because it is a little messy. Next time I will not bring the filling so close to the edge. Once the first loaf, the cinnamon one, was cooled enough to cut, the children ate six slices. When Karl came home, I gave him a slice to try. You know it is good when your husband's eyes get really big and he exclaims, "You made this!" (I actually have great joy in trying to impress him with the things I do!)

I wonder if I can get a picture of them not acting goofy anymore?

Anyway, I had recently read an article about sharing our talents and hobbies with our children. The author posed the question, "How can the children of gourmet cooks leave the home not knowing how to boil water?" The article went on to explain how we tend to use our hobbies as our own special time but this can be a disservice to our children. If we do not take the time to show them our hobbies, how can they empathize with our joy in the activity. The reason we tend to not is because it takes lots of time and patience as we see them messing up while they learn. It would be quicker and faster if we did it on our own, but not necessarily the best choice to make. The day after I made the bread, Anton asked me if he could make bread with me next time. I will find a way to fit it in the day because it is one of those memory making moments. (When I made the bread before, it was in those 1-2 hours I have after Karl leaves for work and the children get up to start their day. Karl and I get up at 4:45am during the work week.)