Monday, December 1, 2008

Math and Science Review (well, sort of..)

Since the children and I were having a blah afternoon, I racked my brain for something interesting to fill up the time. Anton has been studying math concepts of 3 teaspoons is equal to a tablespoon, pints to gallons, along with his multiplication tables. Then it struck me, muffins! By making pumpkin muffins, we could review his math concepts and have something fun to show for it. Karl and Anton had picked up a few cans of pumpkin puree so we were all set, or so I thought. Part way into the project, I discovered we were out of baking powder, hence the science. I had baking soda and cream of tartar though, a substitution in a pinch. The conversion to make baking powder is located inside the Betty Crocker Cookbook, the bible of cooking.

So where does the math review come into play? We doubled the recipe! Anton did nearly all the conversions and Isabella helped to man the mixer!

It turned out to be a fun day after all! And a little icing on top just makes it all the sweeter!