Monday, December 1, 2008

A Quiet Stress-free Turkey Day!

For the first time in a very long time, Karl, the children, and I found ourselves home and alone for Thanksgiving. We chose to have a low key, low stress day to enjoy everything we are thankful for this year. While we did miss spending time with extended family, we did relish the quiet closeness of our time together. Since there was no guests to impress and I had a budding chef on my heels, we went with the flow.

Karl and Anton prepared breakfast while Isabella and I prepped the turkey for the oven. Isabella and I can work as a team, especially when she likes to do some of my least favorite chores. For instance, she likes buttering things wither it be a pan or a turkey. So once I had the turkey all cleaned up, she buttered, spiced (with my observation), and helped to stuff the turkey. Later she wanted to do all the basting. Nearly every 1/2 hour, she was there when I turned the turkey with the baster in her hand. It was definitely a juicy turkey!

Not wanting the boys to feel left out, I gave them the task of green bean casserole, straight from the can recipe. It also gave Anton a chance to inspect all the ingredients to make sure we were not sliding in something weird into the casserole. Karl and I were tickled when he exclaimed his surprise at seeing mushrooms in cream of mushroom soup.


Isabella and I began the pumpkin pie as soon as they vacated our work space. I have to explain this was very gracious of Isabella as she was pretty steadfast on pumpkin cheese cake instead of pie (the Moretti's would understand!) which is Anton's favorite.

Karl said he had to snap this picture because we looked too cute in our aprons. She thoroughly enjoyed having me only overseeing her make the pie. (Oh, how quickly they grow!)

Well, several hours later, and longer than we expected, the turkey was done! I whipped up some gravy from the drippings and handed Karl his knives. If at all possible, I avoid the carving.

A few dishes carried to the table and the feast began. While we only made a few items compared to spread we would have had if guests were coming, it was still a very filling meal with all food groups present.

It is a good thing a turkey has two drumsticks or we could have had an end to our quiet day!

Yes, they ate the whole thing!

My Thanksgiving Moment

I am thankful for all my friends, and family who have helped me become the person I am today. Each one of you have had a part in helping me to discover myself and find true happiness. While many still think I am crazy for going down this path, it is only because they have seen only a part of me or who they thought I was. This is most clear in the past week when my uncle passed. He was a very kind and quiet person but alone since my grandmother's passing. I had been unable to attend the funeral due to Anton having contracted a virus and double ear infection while Karl was away on business. Many asked about us and thought it comical for me to have chosen this direction in my life. They only remember the high tea sort of girl I was 10-15 years ago. They have not witnessed the gradual changing in my demeanor from proper wine etiquette to harmonious herb and vegetable placements in the garden. To those who have loved me from then and now, I thank you. Had it not been for your imprint on my life, I might not have been forced to make the hard choices to get me here today.

I am so blessed. I have a healthy family both mentally, physically, and spiritually. My wish is only the same for you as we journey into this Christmas Season.