Monday, December 19, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 - Braised Brussel Sprouts

OK, so I have a unique daughter.  She loves broccoli and brussel sprouts.  So when I decided to make these for her for Thanksgiving, she was over joyed.  I highly recommend getting everything cut up, especially the sprouts early, or do not try to cook everything at the same time by yourself.  I ended up having to stop the cooking on the sprouts for a bit while I cut up the sprouts.

Here we go!

First, to be cut up and in the pot is the 1/4 lb of pancetta cut into 1/4 inch pieces(I used thick cut bacon, and just guessed while probably going over), and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  You need to cook the bacon and render as much of the fat as possible.  This takes about 5 minutes, which gives you time to chop up about 1/2 cut of carrots (again I guessed and probably went over) and 2-3 shallots.  Once all cut up, add to the pot along with a pinch of red pepper.  WARNING: the house will begin to smell incredible!!!


Here is where I ran into trouble!  I needed to trim and cut into fourths 2 lbs of brussel sprouts!  OH, use the frozen ones as sprouts become sweeter when then have been frozen!  Once all these are trimmed up if you did not pre-trim them before, add to the pot and lightly brown them.


Now add about 2 cups of chicken stock and about 1/2 teaspoon of thyme.  Let the pot come to a high simmer with the lid slightly off the pot to allow some of the liquid to boil off.  You want the sprouts to get tender but not mushy.  While that is simmering, chop up about 1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes and add to the pot.


Let everything get mixed up and then put into serving bowls.


It was a hit!  I even found myself eating the left overs the next day as a meal instead of a salad.  Oh, the glasses have cranberry juice in them as we were going to friend's house for dessert later.